Many men think their skin does not require the same level of care and attention as women’s skin, but the fact is that men are more likely to put their skin to the test on a daily basis.
Most men think that grooming refers just to shaving their facial hair – while that is part of it, there’s so much more! Below are some of my top tips for guys to get started:
- Doctors recommend that you drink at least six to eight glasses of water a day to hydrate your body and flush out any toxins. It may seem overboard, but if you have a glass before and after every meal, you’ll be six glasses down by dinner, just like that.
- Just like your body needs water to hydrate itself, so does your skin. Moisturize your face and body daily with skin products that hydrate the skin, minimizing dark marks and uneven skin tone. Don’t forget to moisturize your neck as well!
- Speaking of moisturizers, try to use one that contains SPF; it will help to effectively protect your skin from the harsh sun – even in winter. Look for moisturizers that also contain Vitamin B3 to help even out dark marks.
- In today’s modern lifestyle, dirt and grim can accumulate quickly on your face, causing a world of problems, such as blackheads and pimples. Try toy exfoliate your skin two to three times a week to get rid of any dead skin cells, which can give it a dull, ashen appearance. Exfoliating also allows the skin products you apply thereafter to work more effectively.
- For most men shaving is part of their daily life, and the key to a great shave is moisture. Facial hair absorbs a lot of water and when it does it becomes weak, which makes it easier to cut. Having a warm shower before your shave is an ideal way to ensure your face is nicely moistened.
- To prepare skin before shaving, you should cleanse skin thoroughly with a face wash and warm water as it softens the hair and opens the pores. Avoid using hot water as this can over-dry skin, leading to irritation.
- When applying shaving cream, apply with your fingertips using a circular motion. Beard hair grows in several different directions and by spreading the lather in circles there’s less risk of missing an area. Also, make sure to invest in a good quality shaving cream – an effective 2-in-1 cleanse and shave product that reduces friction, making your shave smoother and more manageable.
- You’ve heard it before, but we’re going to tell you again because it’s that important: Eat healthy, look healthy. Fresh fruit and vegetables protect the body’s cells making them more resilient while lean protein like chicken and fish are super foods for the skin, helping it to rejuvenate.
Further tips from Christian, and more details on Axe’s ‘Bring the Quiet’ campaign, are available at www.bringthequiet.com.